From Countertop to Salad Bowl: Why I Fell in Love With Indoor Hydroponic Gardening
How a pandemic gardening experiment turned into my year-round kitchen garden.
Affiliate Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases at no additional cost to you.
While everyone else was perfecting their banana bread during the pandemic, I somehow became a gardener. 🌱
And not just a buy-a-little-basil-plant-and-hope-for-the-best gardener.
I became fascinated with hydroponic gardening.
I actually started with a much larger outdoor vertical growing system, which I loved. There was something incredibly satisfying about growing food myself and being able to walk outside and harvest something that would be on my plate a few minutes later.
But eventually I discovered something that fit my everyday life even better: countertop hydroponic gardens.
Why Countertop Hydroponics Won Me Over
I own several countertop hydroponic systems now—including multiple Ahopegarden models—and they’ve become a regular part of my kitchen.
What I love most is the convenience.
There’s no soil to haul around, no traditional garden bed to maintain, and I can grow indoors year-round. The built-in grow lights mean my plants aren’t dependent on whether I have the perfect sunny kitchen window.
And, quite frankly, I just love looking at them.
There’s something really satisfying about waking up and seeing actual food growing in your kitchen.
From Garden to Table—Literally
This is where hydroponic gardening really won me over.
I especially enjoy growing different varieties of lettuce, arugula and culinary herbs.
When I’m making a salad, I can harvest exactly what I need. When a recipe calls for fresh basil, I can walk over and snip some.
And the difference between something that has been sitting in the refrigerator for several days and something you harvested moments ago?
There’s really no comparison.
It also helps me avoid one of my biggest grocery-store annoyances: buying fresh herbs or greens, using part of them and eventually discovering the sad leftovers in the back of the refrigerator.
With my countertop gardens, I harvest what I need and let the rest keep growing.
One of My Favorites: Ahopegarden
I’ve used several countertop growing systems, but Ahopegarden has become one of the brands you’ll see repeatedly on my counter.
The systems combine the basic things I want in an indoor garden: an integrated grow light, water reservoir, circulating water system and adjustable light height as the plants grow.
But what matters more to me than the technical specifications is that I’ve actually been able to grow food successfully with them...and sometimes very successfully.
See that lettuce? 😂
What I Grow
Basil is one of my favorites because it’s something I actually use in the kitchen—and there is something ridiculously satisfying about cutting fresh basil from a plant growing a few feet away from where you’re cooking.
I’ve grown different varieties, including Thai and Genovese basil. I also love growing arugula, lettuce varieties and other culinary herbs.
One thing I’ve learned: you don’t necessarily need to fill every available pod just because the garden has space for it. Some plants get big, and giving them a little breathing room can make harvesting and maintenance easier.
Hydroponic gardening definitely involves a little experimenting, and that’s honestly part of the fun.
Is a Countertop Hydroponic Garden Worth It?
For me, absolutely.
If you live somewhere where outdoor gardening isn’t practical, don’t have much outdoor space, want fresh herbs close at hand, or simply like the idea of growing some of your own food, a countertop hydroponic system can be a surprisingly easy way to start.
You don’t need to become a master gardener.
Trust me. 😂
You will learn as you go—which plants thrive, which ones need more room, when to harvest, and what you actually enjoy growing and eating.
And before you know it, one little countertop garden may turn into…
…whatever apparently happened in my kitchen.
No regrets. 🌱
The Ahopegarden I’m Featuring
If you’d like to check out the Ahopegarden system I’m featuring, you can see the Ahopegarden countertop hydroponic garden on Amazon.
I recommend purchasing the warranty when it’s available for products like this. These systems contain lights, pumps and electronics that are running regularly, so I personally like having the additional protection.
This isn’t a sponsored post. I purchased and use my hydroponic gardens myself. This post contains an Amazon affiliate link, which means I may earn a small commission from qualifying purchases at no additional cost to you.




Comments
Post a Comment